19 January, 2013
Here’s what’s been going on this week.
- I’ve developed the learning log my class are using. It now has four sections – content, skills, how skills could be applied elsewhere and targets. At the moment we are writing our thoughts in these areas, mainly as a whole class, but we will develop this over time. I feel highlighting the areas makes the learning more easily explained by the children, thus allowing them to set more specific targets and develop areas of need and interest.
- I’ve written most of my forward plan for term 3. Quite a bit of work to do here as we have created a new topic area of Dr Who. I have also added some objectives to the school maths planner in measurement and shape, as part of my forward plan.
- I’ve been using evernote more. The more I use it the more useful I find it. Photographing ‘notes’ on my phone and evernoting them means I can’t lose them and I can easily find them using the tags I create when required. I wonder how this can develop for moderating work? 🙂
- I’ve downloaded ‘Mr Reader‘ onto my iPad and use it to read and share content from the totally awesome google reader. As well as using this I use Zite to read a wide range of content based on google reader, twitter and previously ‘liked’ blogs.
- I’ve begun encouraging children to highlight examples of where they have fulfilled the success criteria with a note in the margin of their work. I can see how this works well in written tasks, but am still struggling over how to develop this in maths and ICT tasks. This is a task I am developing as part of the Raising Attainment Group.
- I attended the Raising Attainment Group meeting. I’m really enjoying this and finding having a specified amount of time to focus solely on using feedback to raise attainment very useful. It’s also introduced me to the work of John Hattie, whose work Ewan McIntosh mentioned in a few tweets this week. There are great people in the group and I’m picking up loads of great things to raise attainment in class.
- I added some resources to www.commentsbykids.com and many people expressed an interest in adding examples of great comments to the site via the google form interface.
- Digital leaders continued to work on podcasting/vodcasting, and our school podcast channel is up on iTunes and ready to receive their work.
- The digital leaders and I are going to comment on the 5 sentence challenge blog and help raise attainment in writing across the globe.
- I’ve listened to 6Music’s greatest hits on spotify, read two great articles on Lance and cycling, on the live blog is some brilliant journalism from Matt Seaton and Dr. Hutch and a great farewell interview from Nicole Cooke loved watching Borgen again, enjoyed Silent Witness and despaired at England’s ODI cricket team. I’ve picked up the spin class after a 2 month break due to illness…great to know it’s still so painful, yet enjoyable.